Virtual placement anywhere in Canada, or option to work in our Edmonton office if COVID allows.
DURATION & WAGE: This position is guaranteed for 8 weeks, full-time work, beginning as soon as possible. The wage is $19/hr.
As this position is funded through the Canada Summer Jobs program, certain eligibility requirements apply. Candidates must:
- be between 15 and 30 years of age at the start of the employment;
- be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act for the duration of the employment; and,
- have a valid Social Insurance Number at the start of employment and be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial or territorial legislation and regulations
The Rural Development Network (RDN) is seeking support for the final stages of organizing their national virtual conference: the Canadian Rural and Remote Housing and Homelessness Symposium.
This would involve:
- Following the Work Plan that has been developed and taking the initiative to get things done, or ensure they are being done by other members of the team.
- Identifying other details that need to be addressed that may not be in the work plan, by thinking about how the event will run and all the pieces that need to come together.
- Working closely with the Director of Operations (Lisa), and other members of the RDN team involved in the conference planning.
Specific tasks that need to be done or coordinated would include:
- Coordinating the pre-recording of presentations which are already underway, and coordinating minor video editing to cut out set-up portions, and add pre/post presentation information slides.
- Uploading pre-recordings to the virtual platform, and ensuring all the back-end settings are correct.
- Linking presenters to their sessions in the virtual platform, and adding Zoom links.
- Creating 1-2 pager of information/instructions presenters need to follow for the day of the event to run smoothly, and/or short training videos.
- Recruiting moderators to participate in live Q&As (which other staff will help with), and creating 1-2 pager of information/instructions for them. Scheduling a group training/pre-run with the moderators may be required.
Keynote Speaker Coordination
- Scheduling & meeting with our 4 keynote speakers for a “tech check” prior to the event.
- Ensuring they have all the details and instructions needed for their live presentations.
- Arranging people to introduce the keynotes (RDN can identify people to reach out to).
- Tracking sponsorship benefits, ensuring all sponsors receive the benefits they signed up for, and coordinating with the Communications team.
- Putting together information for them to make the most of their virtual exhibit booths, and sending them the schedule for “breaks & networking” when attendees would be visiting booths.
Virtual Platform Set Up and Coordination
- Ensuring all session details are uploaded in the platform and the schedule is correct.
- Assisting with registration issues & questions from attendees.
- Learning to use the virtual platform inside and out, and be one of the people responsible for running the back end/tech during the event.
- Ensuring all sessions have a zoom link attached and the meeting settings are set up correctly, and that presenters are given the correct Zoom login link.
- Creating a “run-of-show” containing all important details for running the event, including a detailed internal schedule, responsibilities to other staff, session details, Zoom links, contact information for presenters & moderators, etc.
- Assigning responsibilities to other staff members for the day of the event to fill all required roles (tech coordinators to start sessions, moderators, live social media posting, networking group coordination, etc).
Post-Conference Event Coordination with CMHC
- CMHC is hosting another workshop 2 weeks after our event, which all attendees will have access to. Some coordination may be required to set up this session in the platform, zoom, and doing a tech check.
DESIRED SKILLS, EXPERIENCE, AND BEHAVIOURAL COMPETENCIES
- Excellent time management and organizational skills, with the ability to prioritize and balance multiple tasks simultaneously
- Excellent communication skills – written, verbal, and oral presentation
- Results driven, resourceful and proactive
- Flexible, change embracing and able to work in a fast-paced environment
- Capacity to work independently and in a team
- Self-motivated with a high degree of integrity, honesty, and ethics
- Excellent knowledge of Microsoft office
- Knowledge of Zoom and Pheedloop would be an asset, or the ability to pick up new softwares quickly.
- Previous event planning experience would be an asset.
WHAT TO EXPECT WORKING AT RDN:
RDN is a very entrepreneurial non-profit organization with a diverse team of approximately 20 staff, and a unique work environment. We have adapted our work style in light of the pandemic, and adopted long-term strategies that we found increased productivity and satisfaction including working part-time from home and part-time in the office, and having a 35 hour work week with every second Friday off. We have a team-oriented and inclusive culture, we strive to help our staff grow as professionals, and encourage team members to explore their interests to develop new opportunities.
Currently, RDN staff are working 100% virtually until pandemic restrictions are lifted.
Please send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible. Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis until the position is filled.