The Opportunity: The Rural Development Network is seeking a Graphic Design Intern (unpaid) to work alongside our marketing and communications team and support the design and development of brand guidelines, support a website revamp, create graphic posts for our social media marketing, and support the redesign of our bi-weekly newsletter. This is a great opportunity for a student to gain valuable experience and work with an innovative team, while supporting the important work that RDN does throughout its projects.
Location: We will consider applicants located anywhere in Canada who are willing and able to work remotely. RDN’s office is located in Edmonton, Alberta for candidates who prefer to work in person. Please indicate in your cover letter where you are located.
Please note: the student will be required to have their own computer to work on that can run Adobe software (software will be provided).
Anticipated Start Date and Duration: This can be a full-time or part-time role, beginning as soon as possible for approximately 160 hours.
● Design social media graphics for Facebook, LinkedIn, and Twitter that we can use to promote events, initiatives and other RDN communications, in line with RDN’s existing branding.
● Design a brand guideline for RDN to support staff with content creation and proper use of logos, taglines, fonts and brand colours.
● Expand our existing colour palette beyond the four current colours to add to a cohesive brand identity across all initiatives.
● Support the communications and marketing team as we work through a full website revamp which includes switching to a new platform, content overhaul, user testing, etc.
● Support the marketing and communications team with redesigning our bi-weekly newsletter to reflect our brand and better showcase our initiatives, strategic directions, and calls to action (e.g. sign-up’s).
● Includes developing graphics, newsletter banners and footers, call to action buttons, etc.
● Work with other RDN staff to understand their needs & goals for graphic design and create graphics for social media posts, documents, posters, etc. for their projects.
● Experience with Canva & Adobe InDesign or other design software
● Experience working with social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn)
● Demonstrated organizational and time management skills
● Highly detail-oriented
● Ability to work in a team and independently
● Excellent communication (oral and written) skills
● Highly proficient with computers and Microsoft Office programs, especially Word and Excel
● Experience working or living in a rural community would be an asset
● Previous experience with WordPress and/or coding is considered an asset
● Previous experience with Google Analytics and Google Ads is considered an asset
● Education in a related area such as marketing and communications, graphic design, or other related experience is preferred.
Please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org and indicate which position you are applying for.
We recommend applying by May 17, 2022 as we will start reviewing applications on this date. Applications will still be accepted and reviewed after this date until a suitable candidate is found.
RDN is a non-profit organization that supports the sustainability of rural communities. We collaborate to identify and bring focus to rural issues, build local capacity, and find innovative, rural-based solutions to unique issues. Some of the key things RDN does are: managing and delivering projects and initiatives, helping to identify and access funding to support projects, performing services on a cost-recovery basis, identifying, creating, and sharing tools, information and expertise, and partnering with other organizations on projects to compliment their skills & expertise, and boost their capacity.
RDN is a very entrepreneurial organization with a diverse team of over 36 staff, and a unique work environment. We have a team-oriented and inclusive culture, we strive to help our staff grow, and encourage team members to explore their interests and develop new opportunities. This position can offer the right candidate an excellent opportunity to take initiative and create something unique, enhance their profile, meet many amazing people and apply their skills to positive social change throughout Canada.
RDN is committed to and embraces diversity, equity, and inclusion. RDN is committed to ensuring an equitable workplace that welcomes and respects diversity amongst our staff, board members and volunteers. RDN works to ensure and promote inclusivity, recognizing and actively supporting the different needs of our diverse staff, clients, and stakeholders. RDN recognizes that diversity is and will always be a key component of rural Canada’s future success, and we strive to ensure that our staff is diverse. We are committed to removing barriers to employment that are faced by equity-seeking groups and encourage (but do not require) members of these groups to self-identify as such in their cover letters.
To learn more about RDN, visit www.ruraldevelopment.ca.